Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Soliloquy of Stars: Sprint 5 Delivery

 For this sprint, I tried to focus on mocap cleanup and getting my section of the data as cleaned as possible for this update. I couldn't work on it as much as I was out of town for the first week, and also answering a lot of questions from my colleagues about their tasks. I had to meet with a lot of different departments to review their work. For example, I had to check the lighting setups for each shot, as well as review the vfx placements by shot in the sequencer. 

Once, I got the mocap sections from my other animators, I had to put together the three sections of data using the story tool in Motion Builder. For the first character, the Black Hole, I was able to get all the sections blended together and exported as one file. For the Star character though, I ran into a ton of issues. With Emily's mocap section, somehow there's a namespace issue where the star's mocap isn't named the same as the star's skeleton, so the character doesn't map to the animated data and stays in a T pose. With my mocap section, there's no namespace issue, but for some reason the data still won't attach to the character so he also stays in a T pose. 

I couldn't figure out what to do for the star, so I figured I'd just put the Black Hole's cleaned mocap section in engine to show that progress has been made. However, when I did this, for some reason the Black Hole's timing is different than the original data, so it's not synced to the shots or the vfx placements. It seems like the data slows down in the middle of the dance?

Basically, there were enough problems that I didn't feel comfortable pushing these changes, so there isn't an update for the mocap in engine this sprint. 

This weekend and next week, my plan is to figure out these issues. 

:(

Mocap Attempts



No comments:

Post a Comment

Soliloquy of Stars: Final Sprint

 Well, we've made it to the end folks. This sprint was a rollercoaster of emotions, it literally felt like this: We start this sprint of...